He was my first and probably my last. My tatay.He taught me a lot and he sacrificed a lot, not only for me but for all of us. I never really saw him much while I was a child. He was always away. His job required him to be off shore for 2 or more years, then he'd spend a couple of months with us. I was almost in high school when he decided to retire and concentrate on business.
That was a difficult transition for all of us. He didn't know what to do and we didn't know how to deal with him. But everything went well in the end.
Even though he was away most of the time, he made sure to give us advice and share his wisdom. I remember receiving a letter from him saying that I should choose my friends well. That friends are like a basket of apples, expect some of them to be rotten. He said that I have to choose good apples. I didn't understand him then. I got what he meant, but I defended my friends, good apples or not.
When I grew older and was already in a relationship, he reminded me of one thing. That I should never ever accept money from guys. Doesn't matter if it is given voluntarily, a lady should not accept such gifts. I wish I followed his advice. I told him that I did not ask for money, it's given to me freely. In the end, my father was right. My (ex) bf and I broke up and of course the money issue came up.
I know it would seem that I never followed my father's advice, but I kept them in mind. Now that I've learned the lesson first hand, his words have more impact on me now. My tatay is a man of few words. What he lacked in words, he compensated with action. He taught us to persevere in times of crisis. He showed us how to use our wings but he let us fly alone to discover things for ourselves. I am what I am because of my parents. I am strong because of the first man in my life, the first man I ever loved.
I love you Tatay. Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment